World Cup failure a big blow, says Lara
Posted by Dresonic on April 12, 2007
ST GEORGE’S, Grenada (CMC) – Under-fire West Indies captain Brian Lara said Tuesday his side’s failed World Cup campaign was a big blow to him personally and again signalled his intention to retire from One-Day Internationals after the tournament.
The embattled 37-year old, who recently indicated his plans to quit One-Day cricket once again, stopped short of discussing his retirement plans but said he would deal with the issue after the Windies campaign was over.
“I’m going to be in the World Cup for the next two games and I’m not here to talk about that part of it (his future),” Lara told reporters. “At the end of the World Cup is maybe the best time to speak.”
Lara, who had quit One-Day cricket a year ago but returned after being appointed captain for the third time, has already said he wants to continue playing Test cricket while opting out of the abbreviated form of the game.
The record holder for the highest scores in Test and first-class cricket said the team’s failed campaign had been a huge blow to him personally as he had harboured thoughts of playing in the advance stages of the tournament.
“It’s definitely a huge disappointment [for me]. It’s a situation where you are playing your last few one-dayers and you hope that you can end up in a World Cup finals or semi-finals or something like that,” Lara lamented.
“For me, I’m hugely disappointed but I have had a very fruitful career, I’ve enjoyed playing for West Indies in the one-day arena and will continue to enjoy it for the next couple of games.
“I think what is more important is the state of the younger players that have to carry on and carry the team. I think it would be selfish of me to really consider my emotions at this present time. I’m hoping that the younger players – I’ll have a chat with them – hopefully they can pick themselves up quickly because that’s where our cricket lies.”
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.